CHAMPs assists classroom teachers to design (or fine tune) a proactive and positive classroom management plan that will overtly teach students how to behave responsibly. The new 2nd edition includes tips and resources to make this definitive guide to classroom management even more user-friendly.
CHAMPs strategies are easy to implement and will:
- Reduce classroom disruptions and office referrals
- Improve classroom climate
- Increase student on-task behavior
- Establish respectful and civil interactions
By following the effective, research-based practices outlined in CHAMPs, teachers develop methods for clearly communicating their expectations on every classroom activity and transition. Expectations to clarify are:
Conversation: Can students talk to each other during this activity?
Help: How do students get the teacher's attention and their questions answered?
Activity: What is the task/objective? What is the end product?
Movement: Can students move about during this activity?
Participation: How do students show they are fully participating? What does work behavior look/sound like?
Success: When students meet CHAMPS expectations, they will be successful!
Key Benefits of CHAMPs:
- Teachers establish clear expectations with logical and fair responses to misbehavior.
- Teachers spend less time disciplining and more time teaching.
- Teachers learn tools to motivate students to do their best.
- Students are taught how to behave responsibly.
This descriptions is from http://www.pacificnwpublish.com/home/pnp/page_28 , Pacific Northwest Publishing, as an explantation of the book, CHAMPS 2nd Edition, A Proactive and Positive Approach to Classroom Management by Randy Sprick, Ph.D, Mickey Garrison, Ph.D, and Lisa M. Howard, B.A.